Saturday, February 4, 2012

Dickey, Colorado | 2 Comments - Click Here :

Dickey, MP 116.47 from Denver, was first known as Placer Junction (altitude 9,004 feet). Rails reached this location in 1882. Located along the Como to Leadville High Line, it was the junction point for the Dillon and Keystone branch.  More of a ranching community than a town, this served as a helper station and also staging for the rotary snowplow trains going out east over Boreas Pass or west through Ten Mile Canyon. The facilities at Dickey included an engine house, depot, water tank, pump house, bunk house, section house and coaling trestle. Siding capacity was 188 cars. There was a wye for the turning of locomotives. The tail of the wye continued north as the branch to Dillon and Keystone. The rails were removed from Dickey in 1938, and the area is now submerged under Dillon Reservoir, which was completed in 1963.

 Looking north; depot and engine house circa 1900

Water tank in 1903

Depot circa 1910

Water tank in 1915

Depot circa 1930's

2 Comments - Click Here :
  1. Does anyone know where the town of Dickey got it's name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have come across the answer to that question and should have it memorized. But for the life of me I don't recall where I read it now. When I do I will be sure to post it here; whomever you are (-:

      Delete