Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Construction Begins | 1 Comments - Click Here :

As I mentioned in a previous post, my intent is to build an exhibition style layout. I have acquired a 28" x 12' section of open grid benchwork being disposed of by my friend Doug Heitkamp . While the width is perfect, the length was longer than what I desired. So I've cut it down to 10' in length, squared up all the cross members, and attached a 1/2" plywood top. A sheet of 1/2" Homasote was then glued to the top of the plywood. The legs originally put the height too low for my liking. I modified these to put the rail height at 52".


While this benchwork is considerably heavier than it would have been had I used alternative materials and construction methods; the fact that it was free and already assembled weighed heavily (pun intended) in my decision to re-use it. And it saved Doug from a trip to the landfill!
Now a design to fit a portion of the C&S at Dickey Colorado is in order....
- Cowboy Up!
1 Comments - Click Here :
  1. Can't wait to see how things go on top of the layout!

    Derrell

    ReplyDelete