Friday, April 19, 2013

"Along The Blue" #11 | 0 Comments - Click Here :

    A severely sprained ankle has sidelined me for the last week. And as a result, absolutely no progress has been made towards the layout or even my workbench for that matter. I've been doing some reading though, and I thought I'd share a little more of  life in the valley with you:

The Blue Valley Times; Jul 4, 1913;
Small Blaze At Dillon Depot
    Sparks from a locomotive found lodging between the boards of the rather dilapidated platform on the west side of Dillon's railroad depot on Tuesday ignited a stringer near the north end of Agent Kellar's new summer kitchen. The fact was discovered and the incipient blaze put out.
    That is, it was thought to have been put out. But on Wednesday afternoon the platform burst into flames near the south end of the summer kitchen, and it was found that the smoldering fire had eaten its way along the affected stringer underneath the kitchen, for a distance of about 20 feet. With the aid of some section men and others who were handy, the blaze was speedily put out.
    It happened that the Superintendent of bridges and buildings was at the depot at the time, which fact promises to lead to some needed repairs around the place.

The Blue Valley Times; Aug 8, 1913;
Six Cars of Calves
    Six carloads of yearling cattle, consigned to Hamilton & Bach, of the Blue River valley, were unloaded at the corral of the Dillon railroad yard last night. There were 186 head. The cattle were bought in northern Alberta, Canada, and shipped here in charge of Mr. Levine, a former ranch-man of Grand County. They were on the road three weeks and traveled 2,000 miles. Mr. Levine declares as unfounded, the report in a Denver paper that forty-five head of the consignment disappeared at Greeley.
    Though the Dickey section house is only three miles away and a crew of section men had been dilly-dallying in the vicinity of Dillon yard all summer, the late announcement of the six cars of cattle billed for Dillon and would arrive here after dark, found the siding un-repaired and unsafe.
    To put it in shape for a reasonably safe reception of the six cars of cattle, a crew of laborers had to be collected and a special train made up in Leadville to come to Dillon and repair the siding leading to the stock chute. The train arrived with a car of half-rotten ties collected en route for the emergency, and the laborers were kept busy putting the track in shape till 'way after midnight.

Post a Comment