Tuesday, February 5, 2013

"Along The Blue" #8 | 1 Comments - Click Here :

    With rodeo season fast approaching, any available free time I've had (which hasn't been much) has been spent working on the Dickey layout instead of blogging. Although I've made allot of progress, I'm not ready to post any proof of it yet, as I'm still experimenting with color temperatures for the LED lighting that I installed.
    Photographic evidence of my progress will be posted in the following week or so. For now, please enjoy another installment of adventure and tragedy along the C&S, in all it's graphic and gory detail!

The Leadville Daily and Evening Chronicle; Feb 8, 1892;
W.O. Hook, a Brakeman on the South Park, Meets a Violent Death Early Sunday Morning. 
     Another accident, resulting in loss of life, occurred Sunday morning, making a total of three on the Denver and South Park Railroad during the past eight days. W.O. Hook, a brakeman, was struck on the head with a club from the effects of which he died three hours later. But very little is known of the accident, as Hook spoke only a few words afterward. It seems that when his train, a freight, was standing at a station on the east side of Breckenridge, about 4 O'clock Sunday morning, Hook left the caboose for the purpose of setting or loosening the brakes. On the mountain divisions of the various railroads it is customary with the brakemen to use a "club", in order that the brakes may more easily be tightened. The "club" is a piece of hard wood, nearly two inches in diameter and round in form. It is about two feet in length and weighs probably two pounds.
    A few moments after the train arrived at Breckenridge, the door of the caboose was opened and Hook staggered in, remarking he had been struck with a club. He fell in a heap on one of the seats and passed immediately into a comatose condition. The other members of the crew were sitting in the caboose at the time; but thought nothing serious had happened and paid little attention to the matter. When the train arrived in Dickey however, one of the crew noticed that Hook was very pale and seemed to be very sick. He walked over to him and began shaking him but every effort to arouse him was in vain. An examination reveled a small lump immediately over the left temple, which was only discernible on the closest inspection.
    Upon arrival in Leadville, it was found that the injured man had passed beyond all human aid. The body was at once removed to the Morgue by Coroner Nelson. An inquest was deemed unnecessary, but a post-mortem examination was performed by the South Park company's surgeon, result of which is as follows:
Removing the skull cap found no fracture of skull, but an extraravation of blood forming a clot of about four ounces by weight, which came from a rupture of the temporal-artery, the pressure of which upon the brain caused death.
    The most plausible theory as to the cause of Hooks death is that he left his club in the brake wheel, and when air was released it made the wheel revolve quickly, throwing the club out and hitting him in the head.
    Hook leaves a wife, at present residing in Fort Collins.
1 Comments - Click Here :